SENT ON BEHALF OF CRYSTAL WARNER – National Executive Vice-President
This message is being sent to Service Canada locals across Canada.
I want to start by thanking you for your activism and service to our members. I am writing to you directly today to make you aware of a discussion held at the ESDC National Labour Management Consultative Committee (NLMCC) with the Deputy Minister Jean-Francois Tremblay on Monday, December 5, 2022. During the meeting, the DM Tremblay made the following statements:
- That he “was disappointed with employees” because they were given a choice and flexibility with telework and they chose to come into the office the least number of times possible.
- That he challenges our comments about family/childcare being an increased cost for those who are forced to come into the office.
- That not all employees are women, so the others should be coming in more often in person.
- That his intention moving forward will be that ALL employees will come in at least once or twice a week, if not more.
As you can appreciate, he was strongly challenged on these comments. I do not recall having ever been so astounded, or offended, by statements made by the senior most executive at ESDC.
Given the threat of his statements, rumours about an imminent announcement and the impact it will have on our members, as well as his comments about women, we will be actioning the following steps before the holidays:
- The National President and I have organized a meeting with the other national union leadership attending the NLMCC for a strategy session to discuss a common approach.
- I am writing to the Minister and other relevant parliamentarians regarding the comments made by DM Jean-François Tremblay and demanding action.
- We have made the PSAC aware and are collaborating with them in our efforts to what is likely to become a fight back campaign, with special consideration to the collective bargaining process. PSAC is very supportive of an internal shaming campaign on this topic.
- We have and will continue to use social media to conduct pressure tactics on the Deputy Minister and the Minister of ESDC.
- We have put this item on the agenda of all upcoming and relevant national meetings, and would encourage you to do the same at the local and regional level.
Thank you everyone for your consideration, this is a fight back campaign we must be united with. Please be aware this is an internal campaign for our members.
We encourage you to contact your leadership if you want to get involved. Stay tuned for more updates. And to you, our members, allow me this opportunity to wish you a happy and healthy holiday season. Thank you for all you do on behalf of our union and the labour movement.
National Executive Vice-President